Friday, December 31, 2010

Red Beans and Rice

This is my favorite way to cook beans (and the last catch-up post!). I used these beans for beans and rice, but I also use them for well, everything else. I have stopped buying canned beans (including refried beans), and using the results of this wonderful recipe as a replacement. I got this recipe with the users manual that came with our crockpot. I stick to the recipe, but I also add different spices too (salsa, jalapeño, and chili powder, to name a few).

Red Beans and Rice

1 lb. dried red (or any other type) beans
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 c. broth of your choice (I usually do chicken)
2 c. water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
3 c. cooked rice

In a large pot, cover the beans with three times their volume of water and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 mins. and then remove from heat. Cover and let stand for an hour then drain. Combine all of the ingredients in the crockpot (except rice). Cover and cook on low for 10 hours, or on high for 6. You can either serve over hot rice (I like to use cilantro as a garnish and to round of the taste for beans and rice.), or freeze in bags (about 2 cups per bag) for later use.

No comments:

Post a Comment