Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chocolate Pumpkin Bread

This is a recipe I created by combining Michele's Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe, and a pumpkin bread recipe from my mom. It turned out really well. I was surprised at how moist it was. Especially since I used whole wheat flour. Anyway, here it is:

WARNING: this recipe makes 4 loaves. I used my own pumpkin puree for this recipe. I froze them in bags of 4 cups each, and I didn't want extra puree sitting in my fridge. We like pumpkin bread at our house and I usually freeze some to keep for later so this is not a problem, but you may want to half it.

4 c. (or two 15 oz cans) pumpkin puree
6 eggs
2 c. brown sugar
2 c. sugar
2/3 c. canola oil
4 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. sour cream
3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (made from red wheat)
4 c. white whole wheat flour (made from white wheat)
2 tsp. baking soda
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
2/3 c. cocoa
2 c. chocolate chips
Cranberries, to taste (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 4 loaf pans with PAM and set aside.

Place flour, spices, soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a large bowl and whisk to combine. (Because it is all whole wheat flour, it is important to make sure that it is whisked well so that the bread will not be super dense.)

In a large bowl, beat oil, sugars, and eggs until combined and slightly fluffy with an electric mixer (1-2 minutes). Add vanilla, pumpkin, and sour cream and mix until combined.

In a small bowl combine chocolate chips and cranberries. Take a spoonful of the flour mixture and stir in with the chocolate chips and cranberries (that will help keep them evenly distributed. Something I didn't know. Thanks Michele!)

Stir remaining flour mixture into batter and mix just until combined. Add chocolate chips and stir to combine. (When making any quick bread, be careful not to stir the batter too much or it will be tough, and not turn out light and fluffy.)Divide the batter between the pans.

Bake in your preheated oven 50-60 minutes, checking for doneness after 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and let it cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes and then remove from pans. (Many people...(mom)...don't let their bread cool a little before they try to take it from the pan. When they try to remove it immediately, it cracks and they are extremely lucky if they get a loaf in one piece. So...let it sit there for about 8 mins. and viola! you get a whole, perfect loaf.)

The recipe turned out great! I do think next time I will add a little more spice and chocolate though.

1 comment: