Friday, December 31, 2010

Curried Pumpkin Soup

I made my own pumpkin puree this year, and I made LOTS of it. I wanted to try to use pumpkin in other ways besides bread and desserts. Here is something we tried and liked. I got the idea from a recipe on allrecipes.com, and added a couple of my own ideas. Here's the finished product:

3-5 potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 c. chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you have it)
2 tablespoons curry powder (more or less, depending on personal preference)
4 cups of your own pumpkin puree or one large can of pumpkin
1 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon white sugar
salt and pepper to taste
(I can't remember, but I think I may have added a little dried parsley)

Boil potatoes in broth until soft enough to mash. Remove from heat and mash the potatoes with a potato masher (keep them in the pot and don't worry if there seems to be too much water). Stir in pumpkin, curry, milk, and sour cream. Stir until smooth. Add soy sauce, sugar, and salt and pepper (and parsley). Season with soy sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Thicken with a roux or corn starch if desired. Remove from heat. Garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing!! Wanted to invite you to share it at my weekly event titled Seasonal SUndays! (And or other Seasonal Inspired recipes are welcome! :) (http://realsustenance.com/)

    Happy Sunday!
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete