Friday, December 31, 2010

Egg Nog

Daniel and I LOVE egg nog. Since egg nog is relatively expensive, we thought we would try making our own (which could end up being just as expensive if you don't already have the ingredients). It was a success!  I combined Delightful Country Cookin's recipe with Alton Brown's recipe. Here's what I came up with:

4 egg yolks *wash the eggs before you crack them...I explain later*  (keep the whites for later)
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 t. ground allspice
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
2-3 t. rum extract

 Place the egg yolks and sugar in a blender and blend until the mixture turns light yellow.  Meanwhile, heat the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat.  Once the eggs are combined, and while the blender is still going add a few generous tablespoons of the milk mixture into the yolks, and then whisk all of the yolk mixture into the milk.  Heat over medium-low, whisking constantly, until the mixture slightly thickens.  Remove from heat and add rum flavoring. Transfer to a lidded container and refrigerate until cold. *If you would prefer not to have raw egg in your egg nog (the egg whites) stop here and serve. (More about this later.)*

Once the egg yolk mixture is completely cool,  beat egg whites with 1 Tbls. sugar until soft peaks form. Fold the egg white into the yolk mixture. Serve. Makes about 6 servings.

About raw eggs: I have done some research in the raw egg area. Mainly because of the salmonella (or other food born illness) risk involved. I have found several sources (including Food Network Kitchens, and several other cooking sites) that suggest being cautious when consuming raw eggs, but that there is only a slight risk involved. In order to play it safe, use fresh, refrigerated grade A or AA eggs. Many of the sources I read suggest that it is not the egg itself which is the carrier for illness, but the shell (I think this makes total sense. Just think of all the places that shell has been...). To get around this, I wash the eggs before I crack them (just as I would a vegetable or fruit). I also try to avoid contact between the raw eggs and the shell.

Hope it turns out well for you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment