Saturday, May 7, 2011

Spicy Chicken in Peanut Sauce

We loved this! It was really nice for me, because I could just stick it in the crock pot and not think about it (except that it smelled really good) again until dinner time. I had forgotten how crazy it is to cook with a newborn. It's like they have this sense (...maybe the sense of smell?) that mom needs to be busy cooking now, so now I need to cry my lungs out. Actually, it's not just my kids. Apparently, the hour from about 5-6 is called "the bewitching hour." Anyway...so make a long story short, it was great! We loved it, and I will be making it again.

Spicy Chicken in Peanut Sauce

1 Tbs. olive or vegetable oil
abt. 3 lbs chicken (breasts, thighs, whatever...)
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 (14.5)cans diced tomatoes
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 Tbs. honey
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. peanut butter (the recipe called for creamy, but I think crunchy would be good too, especially if you don't have peanuts on hand)
2 c. hot cooked couscous, or rice

Heat oil over med-hi heat. Cook chicken about 4 mins, until brown.

In 4-5qt. slow cooker mix onion, tomato, jalapeno, honey, cumin, and cinnamon. Add chicken. Spoon tomato mix over chicken.

Cover and cook on Low heat setting 7-8 hours (I don't think it needed quite that long.)

Stir in peanut butter until melted and well blended. Serve chicken and sauce over rice or couscous. Garnish with peanuts and cilantro.

Source: Adapted from the Betty Crocker Cookbook.

1 comment:

  1. OH, I remember that bewitching hour all too well! When Erin was still really little, I remember nursing her while standing up trying to cook dinner over the stove. Fun times! This dish looks great. I"m going to have to get some of these kind of meals under my belt before our next one comes.

    ReplyDelete