Friday, December 2, 2011

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili

I don't know where I got this recipe. I think it may have been in a local magazine. Either way, this chili is awesome! We had it for Halloween night. It definitely hit the spot. I did make some changes, so here is my rendition.

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green bell peppers, chopped
1-3 tsp. red pepper flakes (depending on personal heat tolerance)
2 cans of black beans (or make your own and put them in. I actually used pinto the first time, and black the second.)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 Tbs. chili powder
1 Tbs. cumin
1 Tbs. dried oregano
1 small butternut squash (about 3 cups), peeled, seeded, and chopped into bite size pieces.
Salt and pepper

Throw it all in the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours.

Let me tell you a secret: The leftovers are pretty much better than the fresh. Just sayin'...

No comments:

Post a Comment