Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Zucchini Pancakes

Mmm, Mmm, Mmm, I love me some GOOD savory pancakes. These were delicious, and a great way to use up zucchini. (I know it's way past summer, but I am just now getting around to posting this recipe...I am just doing my part to prepare you for next summer!)

Zucchini Pancakes

2 medium zucchini (about 3/4 pound) (I used a zucchini and a summer squash)
2 tablespoons grated red onion
2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
6 to 8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Unsalted butter and vegetable oil

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Grate the zucchini into a bowl using the large grating side of a box grater. Immediately stir in the onion and eggs. Stir in 6 tablespoons of the flour, the baking powder, salt, and pepper. (If the batter gets too thin from the liquid in the zucchini, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour.)

Heat a large (10 to 12-inch) saute pan over medium heat and melt 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil together in the pan. When the butter is hot but not smoking, lower the heat to medium-low and drop heaping soup spoons of batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes about 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place the pancakes on a sheet pan and keep warm in the oven.  The pancakes can stay warm in the oven for up to 30 minutes. Serve hot.


I served the pancakes two ways. One with left over marinara sauce, and one with ricotta and dill. Both were delicious!

Source: Food Network.com (Ina Garten)

1 comment: