Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ensalada de Jicama

I recently made a goal to try to cook with an ingredient I have never used before at least once a month. So this month it was Jicama (hick-a-ma). I made a "traditional" jicama salad. I'll just say this: It wasn't amazing, but I could get used to it. It was nice and fresh and juicy, but very starchy. I read that the smaller the Jicama, the better (I guess they are supposed to be more sweet and less starchy). I got the smallest at the store, but it was still pretty big. Anyway...it wasn't bad, but it is just something that I need to acquire a taste for. 


8 oz. Jicama, peeled and cubed (1 1/2 c.)
1 lg. cucumber, sliced
1 orange, peeled and cubed
2 tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 tsp. chili powder
Salt
I also added some red onion 


In large bowl, combine Jicama, cucumber, and orange. Sprinkle with lemon juice and chili powder; toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Just before serving, sprinkle lightly with salt; toss. Sprinkle lightly with additional chili powder, if desired. Makes 6 servings.

Source: Cooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment