Monday, November 28, 2011

How to make baby food

This post is dedicated to my sister who will be starting solids with her baby soon.

Did you know you can make your own baby food? Did you know you can do this for at least 1/3 the price as store bought baby food? Did you know that the food tastes, looks, and smells better this way? If your answer was no to any of these questions you need to read this post.

First, start off with the veggies you want to cook. Here I have broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, green beans, and butternut squash.

Next step, prepare and cook the veggies.


Next, blend! Make sure to vent the lid. (You don't want hot vegetables flying in your face if the lid pops off because of the pressure!) You may need to add a little water. I like to add the water the food was cooked in because some of the nutrients boil out when you cook it.

Make a nice smooth puree.
Pour into ice cube trays and freeze!

Now you have single servings of baby food! Put the frozen cubes into a freezer bag. When you need to feed the baby, warm the cube up and mix it with some cereal (if you want). It takes about a minute in our microwave. 

I love making my own baby food. I know exactly what goes into it (no preservatives), and I know I'm saving us some money in the process. Hope this helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment