Wednesday, October 5, 2011

General Tsao's Chicken


It was one of those nights. You know the ones, the time just slipped away from you, you realize your husband is going to be home in 30 minutes and you haven't even thought about making dinner. The kids are both screaming, one didn't get a nap, the other one...well, he just screams all the time. Then you go into panic mode. You need something quick and easy. (I'm assuming you know what I'm talking about...but if you don't just imagine that I wrote I's and me's in stead of you's.) Well, that's what it was like for me the other night. I found this recipe and I got it on the table in 25 minutes. And my husband didn't even know about the panic I had when I glanced at the clock at 5. For all he knew I could have been slaving all day on this meal. Yes, it was that good.

The only thing I did differently was I dredged the chicken in some flour and paprika before cooking it. I also added a little sesame seed oil as well as some sesame seeds.

General Tsao's Chicken

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tsp. peanut or canola oil
2 cloves garlic
3/4 c. chicken broth
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 servings cooked brown rice for serving

Combine garlic, chicken broth, corn starch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a bowl and set aside.

Heat oil in a skillet, and add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is browned. Pour in the broth mixture and bring to a boil to thicken. Simmer until chicken is cooked all the way through. (You may need to add a little more broth/water if it gets too thick.) Serve over brown rice with veggies on the side. (Or, you could always make it a stir fry and put the veggies in the sauce, your choice.)


Source: Spark Recipes...by way of Google Recipe search

No comments:

Post a Comment