Monday, February 21, 2011

Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream


Daniel gave me an ice cream maker for Christmas (yes, he did go over budget, yes it was a total surprise, and yes I was overjoyed by the gift). I hadn't used it yet because, well, I have no idea actually. I was going to blame it on the cold weather, but we had store bought ice cream in the freezer (and ate it too), so that's not a great excuse. Anyway...I tried it out for Valentines day dessert. I am never going back to store bought! It was so creamy and SO good. Yes it took some planning, but it is cheaper than what you get at the store and oh so much better!

Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

1 c. creamy peanut butter
2/3 c. sugar
1 c. whole milk (I used 2%. My guess is it just takes longer to thicken.)
2 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped chocolate peanut butter cups (about 15)

1. In a med. mixing bowl, use a hand mixer on low speed to combine the peanut butter and sugar. Blend until smooth. Add the milk and mix on low speed until the sugar is dissolved, about 1-2 mins. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours, or overnight.

2. Pour into ice cream maker and mix until thickened. About 5 mins before desired thickness is reached, add the peanut butter cups. Let mix completely. Ice cream will be soft and creamy. If you would like a thicker ice cream put it in the freezer for 2 hours. Remove 15 mins before serving. Makes about 6 cups.

Delicious!

1 comment: