Friday, June 20, 2014

Million Dollar Fudge

When I was working on my Eagle Scout project, I was unable to get material donations and so I had to do a fundraiser. It was getting close to the Christmas holidays, so my mom suggested I sell fudge! She advertised relentlessly to her colleagues, I advertised at church and at work, and was also able to get some of the other youth in my ward to do some door-to-door sales. All in all, I ended up grossing $1200, about $200 of which went to buying the fudge supplies, $800 of which went to the materials needed for my project, with about $200 left over to make a donation to the nature reserve where I did my project.

This is the magical recipe that made it all happen!

4 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
pinch of salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 (7 oz) bottle marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.5 cups walnuts, chopped (optional)

Place sugar, butter, milk, and salt in a large saucepan. Heat gently until butter is melted, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and let boil for 12 minutes or until softball stage. Remove pan from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Once mixed, pour into buttered 13 x 9 pan and let cool. Makes approximately 5lbs.

1 comment: