Friday, September 2, 2011

Lemon Poppy seed Scones

These were hot, so the lemon curd melted a bit, but still delicious!
 For some reason I've been needing a lot of comfort food lately. I am stressed out for some reason. Maybe it's because I am letting Josh cry it out...and I hate it just as much as he does...but you know, a 18.5 lb 5 1/2 month old does not need fed 3-5 times a night. I am graciously getting up once with him, but that's it! So maybe that's why I am stressed. Maybe I'm tired...Maybe I...It doesn't matter. For some reason I've been craving comfort food, and this just happened to hit the spot. Yum!

I have always been afraid of making scones for some reason...I don't know why. Maybe the name implies hard work? I dunno. It wasn't until this morning that I realized they were just like making biscuits, but you add a couple extra ingredients. Why have I been so afraid? These were so easy, so delicious, and quick to put together. The only long part was the baking (for the scones) and the lemon curd took a while to thicken, but I'd say a pretty easy meal. Awesome!

Lemon Poppy seed Scones

    LEMON CURD:
    2 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    6 tablespoons butter, melted
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    2 tablespoons grated lemon peel

    SCONES:
    2 cups all-purpose flour (I added more flour...it just seemed a little too sticky. Maybe it was more humid today than normal?)
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon poppy seeds
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup cold butter
    3/4 cup milk
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 - 1/2 tsp. almond extract (My addition. I just love the flavor it adds)
    Additional sugar

Directions

    In a heavy saucepan or top of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar.
    Stir in butter, lemon juice and peel. Cook and stir over low heat or
    simmering water for 15 minutes or until mixture reaches 160° and
    is thickened. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (may be stored in
     the refrigerator for up to 1 week).
    For scones, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder,
    baking soda and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture
    resembles fine crumbs. Combine milk and lemon juice; stir into crumb
    mixture just until blended (dough will be soft).
    Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently six times. Shape into
    a ball. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle; cut into eight wedges.
    Separate wedges and place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
    Sprinkle with additional sugar.
    Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove
    from pan to wire rack. Serve warm with the lemon curd. Yield: 8
    scones. 


Source: Taste of Home

By the way...These are NOT low in calories. 419 calories a piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment