Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Crockpot Beef Barley Stew

 I have been wanting to try cooking with different grains lately. I was able to find some barley (for a relatively good price) and thought I would try something easy but yummy out. This seemed to fit. Sorry I don't have a picture, but it was awesome!

Crockpot Beef Barley Stew Recipe

3 pounds beef chuck roast, cubed (I actually used ground beef...I know I'm cheap)

1 onion 

1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables

4 cups water

6 cubes beef bouillon cube

1 tablespoon white sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon (or a pinch) dried thyme ( I put more than that in)

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (I used more like a 1 tsp.)

1/2 teaspoon dried basil (same as above.)

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)

1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes

1 bay leaf

1 cup whole barley (or pearled)

Salt to taste

Ground black pepper to taste


In a slow cooker or crockpot combine all the soup ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment